Total of 27 arrests made as part of policing operation


A total of 27 arrests have now been made as part of our policing operation in the East Leicester area.


High visibility policing patrols have continued in the area while detectives continue to carry out full investigations following arrests made.


On Monday Temporary Chief Constable Rob Nixon issued a message of thanks to the community for continuing to work together to call for calm in the area.


Today, T/CC Nixon said: “I am pleased to see this working together continuing and again I thank all those that have supported us during challenging times.

East Leicester update from T/CC Rob Nixon


“Our officers have worked extremely hard with 27 arrests being made as part of the operation and investigative work continuing. This includes speaking with witnesses, checking CCTV and carrying out house-to-house enquiries.

“This intensive work is of course in addition to all the other excellent policing work being carried out across the whole force area and I once again thank our officers and staff for their tremendous efforts and dedication during this period of significantly high demand on the force.

“I continue to ask you, our communities, to work with us and each other as we move into the weekend to help us with reducing concerns and tensions and with keeping our community safe. The incidents we have seen could have had far more serious consequences and we need to continue working together to ensure we bring this to an end.

“This includes not circulating speculation on social media but instead working with us to ensure incidents are reported and proper checks and enquiries are carried out. We saw this week in relation to an alleged incident in Richmond Way, Leicester, which was later confirmed not to have happened, the significant distress and implications which posting or sharing misinformation can cause.

“Thank you for your continued support as we move forward. We have had some really positive meetings with members of the community who have reached out to us and I look forward to more of these in the future. As I have said previously, working together we have made a difference and I know that together we can ensure this continues.”

The 27 arrests made as part of the policing operation are: In relation to an incident on 28 August in the Belgrave area, eight people have been arrested. These are:

  • A 28-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of assault and assault on an emergency worker. He has since been released under investigation.

  • Six men, aged 21, 24, 25, 29, 30 and 44, have been arrested on suspicion of violent disorder. They have since been released on police bail.

  • A 19-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of violent disorder. He has since been released under investigation.

In relation to an incident on 5 September, in the area of Cottesmore Road, seven arrests have been made.

The arrests made in connection with the incident are:

  • Seven men, aged 21, 24, 25, 27, 27, 29 and 31, have all been arrested on suspicion of public order offences. All men have been released on bail while enquiries continue.

As part of our proactive patrols across the past couple of weeks in the area, 12 further arrests have been made. These are: On 6 September:

  • A 24-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of possession of an offensive weapon. He has since been released on bail.

  • A 19-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of possession of a firearm. He has since been released on bail.

  • A 17-year-old youth was arrested on suspicion of possession of an offensive weapon. He has since been released on bail.

  • A 25-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of driving while above the legal limit of alcohol. He has since been charged with the offence and released on bail to appear at court at a later date.

On 7 September:

  • A 27-year-old man arrested was later charged with a public order offence. He has been released on bail to appear at court at a later date.

  • A 28-year-old man arrested was later charged with a public order offence. He has since been released on bail to appear at court at a later date.

On 9 September:

  • Three men, aged 36, 42 and 44 were arrested on suspicion of affray. They have since been released on police bail.

  • A 21-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of making threats to kill. He has since been released on police bail.

On 10 September:

  • A 21-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of driving while over the prescribed limit of alcohol. He has been charged with the offence, released on bail, and is due to appear at court at a later date.

On 11 September:

  • A 26-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of possession of an offensive weapon. He has been charged with possession of an offensive weapon, possession of a bladed article, driving without a licence and driving without insurance. He has been released on bail and is due to appear at court at a later date.


 

Leicestershire Police News 16 September 2022


 Add this site to your Home Screen