Police Stand-off in city flat tonight

Updated: Mar 14, 2019

Police gained entry through 3rd Floor window at Vestry house after a stand-off to help a injured man who had barricaded himself inside tonight.

Police had to gain entry to a flat via a 3rd floor window tonight at Vestry House on Humberstone Gate in Leicester, with the help from the Fire Service aerial platform.

Police Officers on Aerial platform gaining access via a window

The incident happened around 4.30pm, Humberstone Gate was closed to all traffic and buses, for about a hour during the incident.

The bus services near to the incident had to be diverted and temporary bus stops was put in place on Charles Street.

The two police officers had to be assisted by Leicestershire fire & rescue service, the police had to wear fall protection safety harnesses and be securely attach to the platform cage. after kitting up and safety checks by the fire service the two Police Officers was lifted up to the open window and gained entry to 3rd Floor flat.

East Midlands ambulance was also in attendance.


Pictures by Leicester Media online

On lookers said "why can't they use the front door of the flat.

This Justed Released 21:00

On a tweet from Leicestershire Police, they confirmed officers attended the address after concerns from ambulance service for a man inside the flat.

"Police were called at 4.30pm today by the ambulance service concerned for a man inside an address. Officers entered and found a man injured inside. He was taken to hospital for treatment. Part of Humberstone Gate was closed while incident was ongoing"


Full statement released by Police

Concern for the welfare of man in Vestry House

Issued on 13/3/19 at 8:08 p.m.

At around 4.30pm this afternoon (Wednesday 13 March) police were called by East Midlands Ambulance Service reporting concern for the welfare of a man inside an address in the city centre.

Officers attended the flat in Vestry House, where a man, in his 40s, had barricaded himself inside.

With the assistance of the fire service, officers were able to enter the property where they found the sole occupant of the address with injuries to his hands and neck.

The man was taken to the Leicester Royal Infirmary for treatment.

Humberstone Gate at the junctions of Charles Street and Wharf Street North was closed while emergency services dealt with the incident – the closure has since been lifted.

Officers would like to thank the public for their patience while the incident was ongoing.

 Add this site to your Home Screen