Updated: Jun 21, 2019
Leicestershire Police approach the third weekend of month long Summer Drink Drug drive campaign.
Leicestershire Police have made 63 drink and 8 drug drive arrests, this is considerably more than on the same day in June 2018 when there had been 34 drink and 6 drug arrests:
· 44 of the arrest have been in the Leicester conurbation (38 drink/7 drug) along with clusters in these County districts, Charnwood (8 drink), North West Leicestershire (5 drink / 2drug) and Hinckley and Bosworth (6 drink)
· 18 of the arrests have been made following an RTC
· 14 involved a driver aged 24 or under
· 60 of those arrested have been male
· One of the highest roadside breath tests has been 124, over three and a half times the legal limit.
Jonathan Clarkson, spokesperson for the Leicester, Leicestershire & Rutland Road Safety Partnership said, “The number of arrests so far this month is already much higher compared to last June and with the approach of another weekend we fully expect this to increase significantly.”
“Quite clearly drivers are still not getting our road safety messages, if you choose to drink or drug drive you will get caught. Patrols are operating around the clock, across the Police force area, making arrests in not only Leicester City but also our towns and villages, it is just not worth the risk.”