An annual campaign to encourage people across Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland to consider their safety during the upcoming season of celebrations is underway.
Each year, the Celebrate Safely campaign runs across Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland and ties in with a number of upcoming celebrations through to Christmas and New Year. It involves Leicestershire Fire and Rescue Service, Leicestershire Police, Leicestershire County Council, Leicester City Council, Rutland County Council and a number of district and borough councils across the county.
Nick Stanborough, Station Manager at Leicestershire Fire and Rescue Service, said: “Even though we may be celebrating more at home this year, our Celebrate Safely campaign is still here to help you and your families Celebrate Safely. We will be offering many useful safety tips and advice from all the services involved.
“We want you to enjoy the celebrations, but it’s important to keep yourself, your family and friends safe, as well as your property and belongings.”
Celebrate Safely includes a social media campaign, where key safety messages and advice will be shared, to ensure people consider the safety of their friends and family and enjoy the celebrations safely.
The campaign focuses on the fire risks of electrical items, candles, fireworks, and cooking, as well as giving advice on how to stay safe when you are out and about. The campaign also promotes the importance of installing and regularly testing smoke alarms in our homes.
Nick Stanborough, added: “We urge everyone to be vigilant, keeping a watchful eye on candles, divas and cooking at all times, as well as being cautious when it comes to fireworks and bonfires to help avoid any risk to loved ones caused by fires.
“During periods of celebration, we ask you to help older relatives and neighbours to ensure their safety as they are at greater risk from fire. We want all our local communities to have a safe end to 2020.”
Leicester deputy city mayor for culture, leisure and sport, Councillor Clair added:
“The coronavirus restrictions mean people across Leicester and beyond are having to celebrate differently this year, but it’s still important that people are mindful of keeping themselves and others safe, to ensure that everyone can enjoy this special time.”
Celebrate safely this year by following the campaigns top tips below:
- Make sure you have a working smoke alarm installed on each level of your home
- Never leave cooking unattended
- Don’t attempt to cook if you are under the influence of alcohol
- Consider using battery powered candles
- Keep candles out of the reach of pets and children, and away from
- Beware of fake electrical products
- Don’t overload electrical sockets! If in doubt: one plug, one socket
- When you go out lock your doors and windows, even if you’re only going out for a short time
- Be discreet with your valuables
- Never drive any vehicle under the influence of drink or drugs
- Respect – be aware of your surroundings and each other
For more in depth information about the campaign, useful safety tips and advice,