top of page

Driver who caused serious injury to Police officer jailed

A man who caused serious injury to a police officer by dangerous driving has been sentenced to four years in prison.

Driver Yasin Adam, 25, had been stopped and instructed to get out of a Mercedes car by armed police in the area of Bradbourne Road, Leicester, during the early hours of 5 October last year. This followed a report regarding the vehicle and those inside it.

But instead the car was seen to move towards the officer and hit him. Adam then drove away from the scene.

The officer suffered a number of serious injuries including fractures to his skull and damage to his inner ear drum and remained in hospital for a number of days undergoing treatment. As a result, he was unable to return to work for more than three months after the incident.

Enquiries were made in relation to the vehicle and Adam, of Bradbourne Road, Leicester, was arrested at around 8am the same morning after he was spotted by officers in Leicester.

An investigation carried out into the case included house to house enquiries and CCTV and dashcam footage.

Following a trial at Leicester Crown Court, on Tuesday (2 April) a jury found Adam guilty of causing serious injury by dangerous driving.

He was found not guilty of a charge of attempted murder and causing grievous bodily harm with intent.

Today, at the same court, he was sentenced to four years in prison and disqualified from driving for four years and six months.

The officer who was injured said: “The support I have received from family, friends and colleagues during a difficult few months has been fantastic and I want to thank everyone who has been involved in that. It is all very much appreciated. My recovery is still ongoing but I am pleased to be back at work and back with my team.

“I also want to thank the response team who helped me on the night of the incident and all those who were involved in the investigation which followed. I am extremely grateful for their hard work and determination.”

Senior Investigating Officer, Detective Inspector Gareth Goddard said: “The officer suffered very serious injuries and was unable to return to work for several months following the incident.

“I would like to thank the officer for his patience and co-operation throughout this investigation and wish him well following his return to work. I would also like to thank other officers and staff members who have provided support to him and assisted the team with the investigation as well as members of the public who helped us with our enquiries in this case.”

Deputy Chief Constable Rob Nixon said: “This was a horrific incident which resulted in an officer, who was carrying out his working duties, being seriously injured. We have continued to support the officer throughout his recovery and the investigation and I am pleased he has since been able to return to work.”


Source Leicestershire Police


 Add this site to your Home Screen

bottom of page