top of page

Search Results

Search this site

1889 results found with an empty search

  • Appeal for witnesses to Oadby robbery

    Police officers are appealing for witnesses and anyone with information to come forward following a robbery in Oadby. The incident happened in The Parade just before 3pm last Monday (13 July). The victim, a woman in her 50s, was approached from behind by a man who pulled a gold necklace from around her neck and knocked her to the ground. The man dropped the necklace when trying to make off from the area. Detective Constable Katie Burn, the investigating officer, said: “I’d like to speak to anyone with information about this incident who can help. “This includes anyone who witnessed the incident or captured anything on a mobile phone, dashcam, CCTV or doorbell camera. Anything you’re able to provide could assist our investigation.” You can pass on information by visiting https://www.leics.police.uk/ro/report/ocr/af/how-to-report-a-crime/ and quoting reference 26*413791. Alternatively call 101. Leicestershire Police News - Published: 11:51 23/07/2026

  • Routine police patrol arrest leads to drug dealer being jailed

    Officers on routine patrol in South Leicester uncovered more than they bargained for after stopping a driver in March this year. They drove past a Ford Mondeo which was parked in Lawford Road and became suspicious about the vehicle. The offices ran some checks on police systems which revealed the Mondeo was registered to someone in Coventry and had no insurance. They subsequently traced the vehicle to Pawley Road and stopped the driver – their suspicions proved right after a quantity of drugs were recovered from the car, including mobile phones, a baseball bat and an extendable baton. The driver, 31-year-old Daniel Frape, was arrested and following a search of his home address in Garden Street, Wigston, Leicester, officers discovered a large quantity of drugs, cash, a firearm and some ammunition. At a hearing earlier this month Frape pleaded guilty to four counts of possession with intent to supply class A and B drugs, two counts of possession of an offensive weapon in a public place, possession of a firearm and possession of ammunition for a firearm without a certificate. Today (Wednesday 23 July) he was sentenced to six years’ imprisonment. Detective Constable Daniel Loades was the investigating officer, he said: “When those officers came across Frape’s vehicle they were not to know that their swift actions would lead to this outcome and take a dangerous weapon off the streets. “That initial stop and then the subsequent investigation revealed the extent of Frape’s criminality. “When the officers searched Frape’s bedroom they found a significant quantity of drugs, more than £5,000 in cash, multiple electronic devices, dealer scales, self-seal bags, bank cards, vehicle documents and a locked safe. “The key to the safe was found in a drawer and inside were further dealer bags along with a firearm and ammunition. The firearm was examined by specialist teams and confirmed as a viable device. “Further searches of the property identified additional electronic devices in the lounge and multiple sets of car keys within a key box in the dining room. “Expert analysis by a drugs specialist confirmed that all the recovered white powder was cocaine and, together with the cannabis, had an estimated value of more than £7800. “We are pleased Frape has pleaded guilty to the charges and we hope that the sentence passed today deters him from offending in the future. He now faces a long term in prison and time to reflect on his life choices and the consequences.” Detective Chief Inspector Kevin Brown from the Central area, said: “This is a great example of policing, the officers were on routine patrol in the area and their suspicions stopped an offender in his tracks. “We take drugs misuse and the criminality that comes alongside it extremely seriously. There was clear evidence in this case that the defendant was involved in the supply of drugs. A quantity of drugs and potentially dangerous weapon have been taken off the streets.” If anyone has any concerns about drugs misuse in their area, they are encouraged to report it to the police via www.leics.police.uk A 29-year-old woman, who was also arrested during the investigation on suspicion of possession with intent to supply, remains on bail pending further enquiries Leicestershire Police News - Published: 13:53 23/07/2026

  • Police have closed off parts of London Road tonight due to serious incident

    Police are currently dealing with a serious incident on London Road here in the city tonight. A large police cordon is in place between Saxby Street and Prebend Street. The road is closed to traffic and pedestrians in both directions. A large police presence and armed police officers are at the scene. Video by Leicester Media Online Multiple Police cordons are in place to rear of the building’s, in the car parks which runs of De Montfort Place. Please find alternative routes. We have contacted Leicestershire Police for more on this ongoing investigation. Read Update see post below Pictures by Leicester Media Online

  • Murder investigation launched after man found injured in London Road

    Police have launched a murder investigation after a man found injured in London Road, Leicester, has died. Around 10.45pm yesterday (Wednesday 22 July) an officer in a police car was stopped in London Road, close to Saxby Street, by an injured man. The man, who is in his 20s, had significant injuries to his chest and stomach. The East Midlands Ambulance Service was called, and he was taken to hospital where he subsequently died in the early hours of this morning (Thursday). Following initial enquiries in the area, it is believed the man may have been stabbed in De Montfort Place. This location is to the rear of a number of properties in London Road. A scene preservation is currently in place at the location while a forensic examination is carried out. No arrests have been made at this time. Detective Inspector Lorna Granville, from the East Midlands Special Operations Unit Major Crime Team, said: “Our investigation is in the very early stages, and we are currently working to establish the full circumstances and identify those who may have been involved. “We believe the injured man may have been stabbed minutes before he was able to stop an officer who was driving in the area. Sadly, despite the efforts of medical staff, he was pronounced dead in hospital a few hours later. “We have a number of enquiries underway but would ask anyone who was in that area of London Road last night, between 10.30pm and 11pm, to contact police. We are particularly keen to hear from anyone who may have been driving along London Road at that time and may have captured any dash cam footage." Anyone with information is asked to call 101, quoting incident 797 of 22 July. Pictures and Video by Leicester Media Online Leicestershire Police News - Published: 07:25 23/07/2026

  • ‘Hoppy anniversary’ – 20 years of the Hospital Hopper

    For 20 years, the Hospital Hopper has been helping patients, visitors and colleagues hop between Leicester’s hospitals. Thousands of journeys later, the much-loved service is still going strong. To mark the anniversary of this important bus service, which provides a reliable link between all three hospital sites, UHL colleagues were joined by BBC Radio Leicester this week. Breakfast show host, Ady Dayman, who is the voice of the onboard announcements, chatted to commuters on the journey between Glenfield Hospital and Leicester Royal Infirmary. The anniversary comes as the service introduces a new timetable making it a perfect time to celebrate a bus service that is used by more than 13,000 patients, visitors and colleagues every week. Jenny Sales, Operational Lead for Speech and Language, rides the Hopper to work. She said: “Without the Hopper I’d have to catch several different buses. Working at UHL and being able to go between sites throughout the day is so much more convenient.” Another regular traveller, Bhupendra Mistry, Biomedical Assistant, said: “I’ve been using the Hopper since 2017, it’s a very useful service. It can be chock-a-block in the city centre sometimes, but the Hopper flies through traffic.” BBC Radio Leicester Breakfast Presenter, Ady Dayman and UHL Travelwise Manager, Ruth Ward Ruth Ward, Travel Wise Manager, said: “When I set up the Hospital Hopper service 20 years ago, I never imagined it would become as popular and important as it is now. “It is a pleasure to work with the council and Centrebus to provide what is now an essential service for staff, patients and visitors to all three hospitals as well as helping the Trust meet its net zero targets.” Before the Hopper went into service, patients had to rely on taxis and private transport to get between our hospitals. Twenty years on, it is now an essential for hundreds of thousands of journeys each year. The service runs seven days a week, between the Beaumont Centre and Hamilton Shopping Centre, including stops at St Nicholas Circle and Leicester Railway Station, all with a fleet of fully electric buses. The service will now extend to Ashton Green, improving access for local communities and colleagues. This has been made possible with the valued support of Leicester City Council, highlighting the importance of strong partnership-working in delivering more accessible and sustainable travel options. David Brookes, Managing Director, Centrebus, said: “Reaching 20 years of the Hospital Hopper is a great milestone. The new timetable, developed in partnership with Leicester City Council, will make journeys easier for patients, visitors and NHS workers. It’s a great example of what can be achieved for our communities when we work closely with our partners.” Developed in partnership with Centrebus, the timetable has been updated to enhance reliability, improve journey times, and strengthen key connections across the network. University Hospitals of Leicester NHS Trust News - 22/07/2026

  • Leicestershire County Council is paying tribute to longstanding former leader, Nick Rushton, who has sadly died

    Leicestershire County Council is paying tribute to longstanding former leader, Nick Rushton, who has sadly died. During his 28 years as a county councillor, Nick served as leader for 12 years and stepped down in 2024 to undergo treatment for cancer. First elected to the county council in 1989, Nick served as deputy leader of the council for nine years, held a number of other cabinet positions and was chairman of the Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland Combined Fire Authority. Nick also served as Vice Chairman of the County Councils Network and was its national spokesman on local government finance. Nick’s son, Bertie, was a county councillor between 2021 and 2025 and his father-in-law, Dan Harrison, is the current leader of the council. Dan Harrison, leader of Leicestershire County Council said: “Nick was an outstanding leader of this Council. He had a unique ability to prioritise the common good and his first duty was always to the residents of Leicestershire. Nick was a true statesman. His political nous knew no bounds and neither did his sense of humour. He steered the council through tough times, including difficult decisions during austerity, and also saw the council shine on the global stage, with the reinterment of Richard III. Nicholas was one those rare breeds who was respected across the political spectrum. Just three months ago, Nick was honoured by the council for his long service. He richly deserved this recognition as an Honorary Alderman and I’m really pleased we were able to this. I have ordered the flags outside County Hall to be flown at half-mast in tribute.” Leicestershire County Council News - 22/07/2026

  • Road closure in Oadby - Police are dealing with an incident

    The Parade in Oadby is currently closed to traffic after Road traffic collision involving a pedestrian. UPDATE - ROAD NOW REOPENED The Road is closed from the A6 Leicester Road We have no details on any injuries at this time. Please avoid the area if possible. Pictures by Leicester Media Online

  • Summer drink and drug driving campaign leads to 161 arrests

    Leicestershire Police has arrested 161 people during its summer drink and drug driving campaign, with officers warning that far too many motorists are continuing to put their own lives, and the lives of others, at risk. The campaign, which ran throughout the recent World Cup tournament, saw officers carrying out proactive enforcement activity across Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland to target those driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs. In total, 161 people were arrested, including: 117 on suspicion of drink driving 30 on suspicion of drug driving 14 for failing to provide a sample The highest number of arrests were made in Leicester, where 70 people were detained. Elsewhere, there were also large numbers including, 24 arrests in Charnwood, 18 in Blaby and 16 in North-West Leicestershire. More than a quarter of all arrests followed road traffic collisions, highlighting the devastating consequences impaired driving can have. One driver arrested during the campaign was found to be almost four times the legal alcohol limit! Officers also continued to raise awareness of the dangers of driving the morning after drinking. During the campaign, 23 motorists were arrested between 5am and midday, demonstrating that alcohol can remain in a person's system long after they believe they are fit to drive. Those arrested were from a wide range of age groups. Nearly one in five were aged 24 or under, while the oldest person arrested was 82. Eighteen women were also arrested as part of the operation. Chief Inspector Jodie White, of Leicestershire Police's Specialist Support Department, said: "We encouraged everyone to think about how they would get home before kick-off and plan ahead if they intended to drink alcohol.” "Despite those messages, the number of arrests made during the campaign is deeply concerning and shows that too many people are still making dangerous decisions behind the wheel.” "If you've been drinking alcohol or taking drugs, don't take the risk of driving. Arrange a lift with a sober driver, book a taxi, use public transport or stay overnight.” "Our officers will continue carrying out proactive patrols and enforcement activity to identify and deal with drink and drug drivers, helping keep our roads safe for everyone." While the World Cup may now be over, roads policing officers will continue enforcement activity around the clock across Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland. Anyone with information about suspected drink or drug drivers can report it online at www.leics.police.uk or by calling 101. Leicestershire Police News - Published: 22/07/2026

  • Man charged with several commercial burglaries

    A man has been charged with several burglary offences and is appearing at court today (Wednesday 22 July). Shawn Tulley, 43, of no fixed address, has been charged with six counts of burglary, three counts of attempted burglary and criminal damage. He is appearing at Leicester Magistrates’ Court today. The charges relate to burglaries at commercial premises in the city centre between 25 June and 21 July this year. Leicestershire Police News - Published: 22/07/2026

  • Loughborough by the Sea returns to town centre for week of family fun

    The popular Loughborough by the Sea event returns to the town centre next month – with more chance than ever to enjoy the family fun. The event, which is free to attend, has been expanded for 2026 to last a whole week, running from Monday, 17 August, to Sunday, 23 August. Every day that week, between 10am and 4pm, Loughborough’s Market Place will be transformed into a vibrant beach-themed destination. Organised by the markets team at Charnwood Borough Council, in partnership with Love Loughborough BID and I Need a Fun Fair, Loughborough by the Sea provides something for everyone. Visitors will be able enjoy: Children’s fun fair rides A bouncy castle Live entertainment Traditional market stalls And plenty of sand, of course! Cllr Jennifer Tillotson, the Council’s lead member for housing, economic development, regeneration and town centres, said: “Loughborough by the Sea has become a popular event in our town centre, bringing families together and creating a fantastic atmosphere for residents and visitors alike. “By extending the event to a full week this year, we’re giving even more people the opportunity to enjoy the attractions, entertainment and seaside fun while supporting our local businesses and market traders.” Charnwood Borough Council News 22/07/2026

  • Leicestershire Fire service warns of the dangers of charging Lithium batteries in the home.

    Early on Sunday morning, the Leicestershire Fire and Rescue Service attended a fire in Ellistown involving a summer house. The blaze was triggered by lithium batteries left charging overnight. Thankfully no one was injured at this incident. Although they are typically safe when used properly, if they become damaged, overcharged, or malfunction, they can fail suddenly, resulting in a fierce fire that spreads very rapidly. To help keep yourself and your family safe: Avoid charging lithium batteries overnight or when you’re out of the house. Always use the manufacturer’s charger. Charge batteries on a hard, non-combustible surface and keep them away from escape routes. Stop using and safely dispose of any battery that shows signs of damage, swelling or overheating. Never cover batteries or chargers while they’re charging. Pictures credit Coalville Fire Station Please share this message to help raise awareness. The Fire Service is responding to an increasing number of incidents involving lithium batteries. By sharing this advice, you could help prevent the next fire and ensure someone's safety. Find more Home safety advice from Leicestershire Fire Service here

  • Firefighters raced to rescue two horses after they became tangled in heavy chains.

    Earlier today, firefighters from Leicestershire Fire and Rescue Service Eastern Station and Leicestershire Fire and Rescue Service Southern Station collaborated to rescue two horses that had become trapped in heavy chains. One of the horses had its front leg tightly entangled in the chains, preventing both animals from freeing themselves. Working carefully alongside those on scene, firefighters used specialist equipment to safely remove the chains while keeping the horses as calm as possible throughout the rescue. Picture credits LFRS Thanks to the teamwork and patience of everyone involved, both horses were successfully freed and were left safe and in the care of their owners. Well done...... its #notjustfires

bottom of page