Celebrating Safely this Christmas


Before you deck the halls with boughs of holly, read the rules and stay jolly.


Thinking about putting up your Christmas lights. then spend a few minutes reading

some advice from Leicestershire Fire service.






  • Check fairy lights are in good working order and replace any bulbs that blow – they should conform to the British Standard (BS EN 60598).

  • Switch off fairy lights and unplug them before you go to bed, or leave the house.

  • Don’t let bulbs touch anything that can burn easily, such as paper or fabrics.

  • You may have more electrical items in use when you are celebrating so be careful not overload sockets – only use one plug per socket.

  • Always turn off plugs when they are not in use, except those that are designed to be left on, like freezers.

  • Always use an RCD (residual current device) on outdoor electrical equipment – this safety device can be bought in DIY stores and save lives by instantly switching off the power if there is a fault.



Candles and divas are one of the biggest causes of fire within the home so people need to be educated about the dangers and damage they can cause




If you use candles or tea lights we urge you to follow the key safety tips below to keep you, your home and your family safe:

Make sure candles and tea lights are secured in a proper holder and away from materials that may catch fire – like curtains, furniture etc.

  • Keep candles and divas away from draughts.

  • Never move a candle once it is lit.

  • Do not burn several candles close together as this might cause flaring (mainly with tea-lights).

  • Never put divas or candles on top of televisions or other plastic surfaces when alight.

  • Put candles out when you leave the room, and make sure they’re put out completely at night.

  • Keep children and pets away from lit candles. NEVER use a candle for a night light.



Visit Leicestershire Fire and Rescue web site for more advice on safety in the home.


https://leics-fire.gov.uk/your-safety/at-home/