top of page

Drone Operations - LM News and LM TV 
Non Commercial and Commerical 

UK operator ID Details
Civil Aviation Authority


Operator ID Expiry Date 16/11/24 
FLYER ID details   - Craig Thorpe

Valid for 5 years
Expiry Date 16/11/2027

Licensed Operator by CAA 


Risk Assemements / Insurance cover

£5M public liability insurance

Renewed 10/11/2022 

The Certified category covers operations that present an equivalent risk to that of manned aviation; because of this they are be subjected to the same regulatory regime (i.e. certification of the unmanned aircraft, certification of the UAS operator, licensing of the remote pilot)

For more information refer to CAP722 – Annex C - The Certified category CAP 722

The rules are based on the risk of the flight; where you fly, proximity to other people and the size and weight of your drone are key.


There will no longer be a distinction between flying commercially and flying for pleasure or recreation.


This means that an approval just to operate commercially is no longer required. If you are flying as part of a business then you should carefully read


Due to the rules on proximity to people and overflight of congested areas in most cases, if you have an existing operator authorisation from the CAA, you will still require one under the new regulations.


The new rules are divided into three categories: Open, Specific and Certified. The Open category is intended for low-risk drone flights, for example because you are flying a very light drone or are in the countryside. If you are flying in this category then you need no specific authorisation from the CAA.


All of the rules also apply if you are flying at night. The Open category is split into: A1 (drones less than 250g):

You may fly over people for a short time with your drone, as long as it is not a crowd;


A2: You must keep some distance from people, normally 30m. But this depends, among other things, on the drone you are flying (weight or class).


To fly in the A2 sub category as well as passing the normal flyer ID online test you must also pass an additional written theory exam.


And declare that you have gained some practical knowledge with your drone, but you do not have to take a practical exam.


A3: You must stay at least 50 metres horizontally away from people and 150 metres horizontally away from parks, industrial and built-up areas.


The Specific category is for higher risk flights such as flying a drone over an urban area. To fly in this category you will need an operational authorisation from the CAA.


The Certified category is for large unmanned aircraft, for example transporting parcels above the city, that are subject to higher levels of approval and regulation

Insurance Cover  - £5M (Commercial Use) 


Covers includes accidental damage to property, or to a member of the public, whilst the insured drone is in flight and being operated commercially. Cover includes invasion of privacy and noise complaints.


This is a liability only policy and excludes any loss or damage to drones or equipment.


This policy is through. CoverDrone  Starr International (Europe) Limited (SIEL)

Lloyd's Aircraft Policy AVN 1C  (Cover From 02/03/2024 TO CONTINUOUS)

Anchor 1
bottom of page